So this blog has been primarily for the boys to express in baby and toddler talk how they feel about growing up with each other and the milestones that they are reaching. And now having two little men blogging usually gets forgotten about. So I have decided to hijack this post and put into a few words how it has been the past year with 2 munchkins in our lives.
When I was pregnant with Caden I didn't think it would ever end. You know what to expect from already going through it once and you are just ready to hold the baby and be done with the hot flashes, cravings, sickness and mood swings :) I wanted him to instantly be a walking toddler like Brody so we didn't have to worry about the basement door being open, or strollers, and him being able to ask for what he wanted instead of the infant cry. I just wanted a Brody twin because of all the fun we had with him already. When Caden was finally born I had a quick and I mean super quick moment of regret. Was I abandoning Brody? and how could I love two just as much? Well once he was in my arms that all faded away. People tell you that the second is so much different than the first child and I always thought "yay right" we will have the same parenting techniques so they have to be the same..WRONG! Brody is Mr. Independent and for the most part always has been. Caden is Mr. Mama's boy! He wants to be held, he will follow you around like a puppy, he already has mastered a shrill that usually gets Brody in trouble for something. He is picking up very quickly on what is Alright to do and what is Wrong to do and is testing the waters each day.
The past year has not only effected me but has effected our marriage. We were driving each other crazy (mainly because I am a light sleeper and hear everything and he hears nothing). Just because I may be awake doesn't mean I want to be the only one getting up. Well we discussed, argued and agreed on how things should now work with two. Over the past year we have become stronger individually and together. Sometimes as Al says it feels like were roommates on different schedules but we know that once the boys are a little older it will be great to be able to do some many things together! Isn't that what every family goes through with starting careers and families and a house all at the same time?!!?
So what did I learn over the past year of two
Brody- he is growing up way to fast. The big boy haircuts say it all. I look at him and have anxiety about first day of school, graduations, college, weddings. I can play his whole life in front of my eyes in 2 minutes. And then it leads me to a panic attack. How do you bottle up every "love you to mommy" "good day at work" moment?! Example: he found a plastic watch the other day, put it on. Said it's 3 O'clock (Al's work time), time for work. Walked around the whole house giving out kisses, told Jorgie to be good and grabbed my keys and headed for the door! As cute as it what... it is going to be reality one day. Now with Brody life is not all peaches! The terrible 2's/3's are upon us. He is mischievous and likes to rip everything apart, shake his cup all over the carpet, not eat and ignores any sort of direction given!
Caden- he gives me a run for my money. He is the cutest little chubscout around. He loves to give hugs and snuggle. He has the best smile (when he flashes it) with the most amazing twinkling eyes. It is great to watch him learn his milestones at his own pace (as much as I would love for him to already be walking)! He has started to wave and mama randomly exits his mouth. The best part is when he is almost asleep on you and just plays, doesn't rip, with your hair. Caden is definitely second child syndrome....he has very few professional pictures of him, very few pictures (although we are working on that) and very few opportunities to spend time alone with Al or I. I think as he gets older we need to work on it, right now he doesn't realize it. He has a SHRIEK that makes your bones shake when he doesn't get his way or gets mad at Brody. It is horrible!!! We are working on that too. He hates his crib and sleeping through the night has not occurred yet on a regular basis.
When you see the two boys playing together you remember why you wanted to have kids and so close together. They are going to be the best of friends (I hope). As it is Brody takes care of Caden and Caden harasses Brody so all it right in the sibling world.
Pros about just being a mom-
I get to spend the most time with the boys watching them go through all these changes.
The hugs, kisses and cuddling that they want to do with me right now. I am the only girl for them!!
The feeling I get knowing that I created two individuals that lives depend on me and I can make them just as crazy!
The way Al and I look at each other and have a silent conversation as we watch Caden pull himself up and walk around the couch and table, holding our breathes for that first step alone.
How Brody comes out with the funniest one liners...and we repeat them to each other on the phone. It is like the Leonard secret dictionary.
Cons- Spending lots of time with the boys. We have only left them for 3 nights and both times during weddings were there were lots of things going on. I don't think I could just ship them out for a sleepover and stay home. As much as the following are cons... I can't see myself without them.
LACK OF SLEEP-Come on children..sleeping is good. Brody barely naps, Caden is random and they both get up in the middle of the night crying or requesting a juice cup! It is now something that we have to joke about because if Caden is asleep Brody is awake, Brody will fall asleep and 5 mins later Caden is awake. Really?!!? And then throw Jorgie in the mix who once you are up and out of bed wants to go outside you are done for it!!
All in all I think the past year of our lives with two has been nothing but a joy, learning experience and all around good time. The panic attacks subside and arguments get settled. At the end of the day the Leonard family of 4 and a fluffy one is the best thing that has ever happened!!
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I tried to post yesterday but it didn't take. I totally agree on the roomate thing and will actually take this idea for my blog too cause I think it's an important topic! I never get to speak to my husband unless it's on the phone when the kids are napping!!! I just keep telling myself - it can ONLY get better and in a few years when we are a kick ass 4 some - we will have forgotten all about the sacrifices we are making now.:)
ReplyDelete